{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Lungu Dumitru April 2, 2011 at 10:06 am

Hello.
I got this message below.The fact that I have not found another way to send the message to the bank, send it to you and expect you to tell me if the message is true or false.

BARCLAYS BANK OF UNITED KINGDOM
Department of Online Transfer Barclays Bank of England
Date: 02/04/2011

ATTN: Dumitru Lungu,
Welcome to Barclays Bank of England (BB) . Mr. Ian Walter from UK National Lottery Office in United Kingdom contacted us regarding your winning fund of one million five hundred thousand Great British Pounds Sterling. The cheque has been deposited directly to us on behalf of the Uknl Board and we are ready to activate/transfer to your local bank there in your country.

This state that Mr. Paul Smith, Officer in charge for Foreign transfer and conversion, from Barclays Bank, will see you through the entire process of transfer and conversion, as designated to him, he would be the one whom your funds will be handed over to, to enable smooth mobilization of the funds. So you are requested to follow his instruction to enable quick and easy transfer of the funds into your designated bank.

We have required certain details from you for verification and authentication and we want your identification documents, You are to send the below:

• NAME:
• PERMANENT RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS.
• PASSPORT COPY/DRIVERS LICENSE/RATION CARD.
• OCCUPATION
• TELEPHONE/MOBILE
• PAN CARD.
• PASSPORT SIZED PHOTOGRAPH
• COMPLETE BANK DETAILS.

Copy and paste the url below on your browser and fill the form completely making sure all information provided are to the best of your knowledge correct.

NOTE: No amount will be deducted from your entire remitted fund, due to the strict policy laid down by the transferring bank to effect the entire fund to your concerned bank in full. Immediately the above document is received for identification purpose, we will commence with the transfer immediately, Please do avoid delay and respond back immediately.

Thanks for banking with us.

Yours Faithfully,
Mr. Paul Smith
Fund Transfer Officer
Barclays Bank Plc
England .

NOTICE: The content of this email is confidential and is intended only for the named addressee. If you are not the named addressee, please notify us immediately and destroy all electronic and hard copies of this message. Please note that email correspondence with Barclays Bank employee is not private and may be monitored, read, stored and recorded by other employees for the purpose of monitoring compliance with our Email and Internet Policy.
All communications with us may be monitored/recorded to improve the quality of our service and for your protection and security.

BS Artist reply on April 2nd, 2011:

It’s obviously false. The internet address is all wrong, check the spelling, and that page was made to look like the real one just to trick people into believing it is the real deal. Ignore the email.

2 Ned Carey May 13, 2011 at 9:52 pm

The stupidest part of this scan is anyone dumb enough to fall for it isn’t likely to have any money in their account anyway.
Ned Carey recently posted..High Bid PremiumMy Profile

BS Artist reply on May 14th, 2011:

Hey Ned, that’s probably true, but then again they don’t have to have a lot of money for these scammers to be interested in them.

Thanks for dropping in on my BS blog :thumbup_tb:
BS Artist recently posted..How Photoshop And ACDSee Can Improve Your PhotosMy Profile

3 Damian December 12, 2011 at 11:49 am

This is a little late compared to the previous comments dated but I just received the following email over the weekend myself:

Good Day,

Can you confirm if you are still using this email address? There is an urgent information I have for you. My Name is Mr. Bernard Baako, I work with Barclays Bank. I do not know if I am talking to the right person, But I will like you to confirm if you are the owner of this email ID.

Already I have your name and details in our file in the office, all I want is a confirmation from you that I am communicating with the right owner of this email.

I will furnish you with the information that I have for you, When I am convinced I am talking to the right person.

I am taking this preventive measure because I do not want to talk to the wrong person because of the sensitivity of the information regarding the issue.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,
Bernard Baako

————————————————————————————————————-

Are they serious?
Why would I divulge who I am when I don’t even know who they are. They could have had at least
gave me my first initial and last name. Not that it would have helped much. LOL!
I started to respond with a ‘fake’ name just to see where they were going with this scam, but I rather not even entertain the idea.
If anyone else has received this email over the weekend please share.

BS Artist reply on December 12th, 2011:

Yeah, makes you wonder doesn’t it Damian. That was a smart decision not replying to the email :wink_ee:

4 Scott B February 27, 2012 at 7:50 am

I received the following one just this morning!

Dear Winner,

This is to inform you of the release of our 2012 Barclays Bank AWARD PROMO which e-mail addresses are picked randomly by software powered by the Internet Service Provider. Twenty thousand email addresses were selected and you are lucky to be among them, therefore making you one of our winners for the sum of ($2,500,000.00 USD) in form of Automated Teller Machine System(A.T.M) you are to contact our Financial Controller with the information below for clearance and payment
release.

FINANCIAL CONTROLLER:
Name: Mr. Fredrick Williams
Email: fredrickthewankwilliams101@rogers.com (Email edited)

Sincerely,
Mrs.Rosemary Hartley
On-line Coordinator
Barclays Bank AWARD PROMO 2012.

At least everything is spelled right!

BS Artist reply on February 29th, 2012:

Yep, that’s a whole lot of BS for sure, glad you weren’t sucked in by it.
BS Artist recently posted..When You Need To Walk Around Your Subject To Get Another ViewMy Profile